Sunday, October 28, 2012

This pirate isn't gettin' scurvy!! ARRRGH :p

Hello Sweets,

I hope you all had a fantastic weekend, and for all my adult readers, I hope you all had some Halloween fun out!  Did you do anything fun for Halloween?  What did you choose to go out as?  I would love to hear all about your fun Halloween adventures as it is one of my favorite time of the year :)

Nathan and his friend Dave took me out to a sports bar named Sneaky Pete's, for a couple of hours to have a fun night of Halloween debauchery.  Now this place was perfect for me, because my health is so unpredictable I require an environment that is not too loud, or crowded, and definitely smoke free, which this place met all of those.  Now I have never, and I mean never, been part of a couple that has matching costumes, but I've always wanted to.  Since I have the most amazing boyfriend, he said that he would be on board!  Needless to say, I was super excited, and immediately started thinking of what we could be.  In a close second was being ghost busters, but as you can tell by the post title, we settled on pirates!  The next crucial step was finding the perfect costumes.  Now Nathan and his family LOVE the Pirates of the Caribbean movie series, so he settled on "Black Beard", except instead of a beard he had scruff, and I think he looked great!  Then for me, we located a cute little female pirate costume with a bustier that had boning in it (something I've always wanted to wear), and even a cute little pirate hat!  So we got all dressed up; the pirate couple, and Nathan's friend Dave, dressed as Fred Flintstone (he made it himself, and looked amazing!), and headed out for a nice evening of friends, laughter, and maybe even a little singing :p

Sorry for the self photo, but I just love my tiny pirate hat and giant eyelashes
Dave aka Fred Flintstone 
Awe aren't we cute :)

All in all it was a great night, even health wise (talk about good luck).  Dave and I even had the honor of being guest singers for the band!  Even if Dave got "Whiskey mic" lol, as he put it (greatest line of the night), when he forgot the lyrics to 'Ice Ice Baby'! 

We had a blast

Since we had a great night, I decided today I would try making Nathans absolute favorite dessert, Coconut Meringue pie (via www.southernplate.com).  Now for those of you who do bake, we all know meringue is one of the most difficult types of pie, as the meringue is very fickle.  Needless to say I put a lot of pressure on myself, and I am sure it had a lot to do with the fact that both Nathan's mother, and grandmother had tried but not been successful .  Ekkk no pressure right?!? Lol well I dove in head first, like every baking excursion, and went in with the feeling that it would turn out fantastically.  Well I am happy to announce, dadaduh, that it was a success :)  Now I will share this delicious recipe so you can try it too!

Old Fashion Coconut Meringue Pie (via southernplate.com)
Ingredients for coconut filling
1/2C white sugar
1/3C flour
1?2C milk
1/2C butter, melted
1/2Tsp salt
1/2Tsp vanilla
3 eggs, separated (yolks for this half)
1C sweetened coconut flakes, heaping
9" pie shell, baked (I opted to use a pre-made graham crust)

Ingredients for meringue
3 egg whites
1/4C white sugar


Directions:
Pie filling
1)  Mix flour, sugar, salt, butter, milk, and egg yolks in a large sauce pan.  Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly with a wire whisk until thick, then remove from heat.
before and after 

2)  Stir in vanilla and coconut.  Pour into pie shell, top with meringue.
smells delicious

Directions:
For the meringue
1)  Whip egg whites until foamy, then add the sugar.  Continue beating on high speed until soft peaks form.
foamy egg whites 

now add the sugar 
soft peaks :)

2)  Pour on top of the pie and spread to edges to seal, sprinkle additional coconut on top.

3)  Bake at 350F for 10 minutes, or until top is golden.  Refrigerate until completely cold before serving, if not it will be runny.
Mmmmm

Now since I was a pirate last night, in a funny link to my blog I decided to make a "Passion fruit sweet tea", as to not get scurvy lol!

Passion Fruit Sweet Tea
Ingredients
1/2C sugar
2Tbs honey
1 bag of Tazo Passion fruit Iced Tea
1 lemon, sliced


Directions:
1)  Bring 1Qrt of water to boil with the tea bag in the entire time.
Color releases instantly :)

2)  While the tea is boiling add the sugar and honey to an empty pitcher.

3)  Add the tea and stir to dissolve all the sugar and honey.  Then add the ice, allow to fully melt, then top with lemon slices and refrigerate for at least an hour.
so pretty and fragrant

Serve the sweet tea in a mason jar mug with a slice of the coconut meringue and send your taste buds to flavor heaven.  
Looks delicious doesn't it?

Have you tried to make something you weren't sure if it would turn out like it should?  Was it a hit or a miss?  Do you like baking someone's favorite dishes, or maybe something just for you?  I would love to hear from you, whether it's fun Halloween tricks or treats, or the recipe you're the most proud of accomplishing :)  Until next time.....

Stay sweet,



Jennifer xoxoxo


















No comments:

Post a Comment