Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Coo Coo for Coconut!

Hello Sweets!

I hope everyone got through their manic Monday without a scrape :)  I got some wonderful news today, my grandfather who is from Malta (small country off the coast of Sicily, off the coast of Italy), told me that my grandmother has requested that he makes some of his famous pastizzis.  For those you who aren't aware of what they are, they are a savory appetizer type pastry filled with either ricotta cheese or meat with peas, and I LOVE them!!!  Now not only is he going to make them from scratch (dough included), but he is going to teach me how to also :D EEEKKK, which also means my grandfather is going to make his blog debut (he won't know what that is which makes it even cuter).

So as I told you all yesterday I had this fresh coconut and didn't know what to do with it, but alas my lovely roomie Tereza suggested that I make some yummy macaroons :)  This was my first attempt at them and I can confidently say that it was yet another success, I wasn't all to worried about them but with every new recipe you try there is that little voice that tells you to watch them diligently just in case, and this was no different.  Now let me tell you one thing about my crazy little coconut, shaving the meat off is no easy task, it probably took me about an hour and a half, but as we enjoy our little tastes of heaven macaroons it was well worth the effort.  Now lets get to the yummy recipe why don't we :)

Fresh Coconut Macaroons (via All Recipe)
Ingredients
1 1/2C fresh coconut
1/3C soft brown sugar
2Tbs whole wheat flour
1 pinch salt
2 egg whites
1/2Tsp vanilla

Directions:
1)  Mix the freshly grated coconut, sugar, flour, and salt.

2)  Mix the egg whites with the vanilla (no need to beat), then add to mix.

3)  Drop heaped teaspoons of the mix onto a non stick pan.  Bake at 325F for 22-24 minutes or until lightly browned.
Makes 9-12 macaroons, and don't forget to enjoy these yummy delights :)

Now for those of you who don't know how I got into the blogging world, it was the lovely Miss Sarah over at My (mostly) Healthy Life.  She blogs about fitness, health, paleo food, and fashion among other things.  She does these fun giveaways for different things, I won some yummy allergen free mixes recently from her and the lovies at Allergic Solutions, and now she has partnered up with Push Pump Progress to do a Frosty Fitness Challenge.  For the next five weeks there will be a different goal each week, with fabulous prizes for the winners and some other achievement acknowledgements.  This weeks goal is to run (or walk in my case) as close to 20kms as possible, now the important thing is to have proof pictures so they can see your progress and I am going to share my progress with all of you.  Now I have to listen to my body, which is why there are three pictures of distances, but none the less I am going to give it a try :)
I'm proud of my 2.63 miles

I encourage all of you to join in on the challenge, it's always easier to do a challenge with friends :)  Until next time.........


Stay sweet,



Jennifer xoxoxoxo







No comments:

Post a Comment