Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Baby You Make Me Do Pinwheels

Hello Sweets,

How is everyones Christmas celebrations going?  Are any of you already on holidays, kicking your feet up or rushing to finish your shopping?  I am pretty much done with the shopping part, though I do still have one more gift to get but after, that I'm done :)   As for the baking I am still in full gear, but I am giving sugar cookies a break to try some new recipes out!

I wasn't sure what recipe to do next, only because I have a few newbies I want to try, but then as I turned the page, the angels started sing lol.  Nathan loves cinnamon, so for today's post I have cinnamon pinwheels for you to try too.  This is a recipe that needs to sit in the fridge not once, but twice, the latter being a three hour minimum or overnight preferably, so you must have patience for this one :)

Cinnamon Pinwheels (via Food Network)
Ingredients
2C all-purpose flour
1/2Tsp baking powder
1/4Tsp salt
1 1/2 sticks(12Tbs) of butter, room temperature
2/3C granulated sugar
1 large egg
1/2Tsp vanilla extract
1/4Tsp cinnamon extract (optional)
1 Tsp unsweetened cocoa powder
3/4Tsp red food coloring
1 Tsp ground cinnamon
1 Tbs sanding sugar (clear or red) plus more for coating

Directions:
1)  Whisk the flour, baking powder, and salt together in a medium bowl.

2)  Beat the butter and sugar in a large bowl with a mixer on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, 3-5 minutes.
 

3)  Beat in the egg and vanilla until incorporated.  Reduce the mixer speed to low; add the flour mixture and beat until just combined.
 

4)  Remove half the dough and wrap in plastic wrap.  Add the cinnamon extract, cocoa powder, and food coloring to the remaining dough and beat until incorporated; wrap in plastic wrap.  Refrigerate both pieces of dough until firm; about one hour.
  

 5)  Dust the dough with flour and roll out each piece on parchment paper into a 10"x11" rectangle.  Flip the red dough on top of the plain dough; remove the top piece of parchment paper and trim the edges.  Sprinkle the ground cinnamon and sanding sugar on top.  Starting from a short end, tightly roll up the dough, using the parchment to help; roll the log in sanding sugar.  Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate until firm, at least 3 hours or overnight. (sorry about the lack of pictures :( )

6)  Position the racks in the upper and lower thirds of the oven and preheat to 350F.  Line 2 baking sheets with parchment.  Slice the log crosswise 1/4" thick; arrange the slices about 1 1/2" apart on the baking sheet.  Bake, switching the position of the pans halfway through until slightly puffed and lightly golden brown on the bottoms, 12-15 minutes.  Let cool 5 minutes on the baking sheet, then transfer to racks to cool.
 

These cookies embody both cinnamon and sugar cookies, and they look fantastic too!  It's a simple recipe to do.  I would say the hardest part would be the rolling of the doughs together, but the parchment paper is a big help with that :)

Now I do want to give all of you a heads up that tomorrow I will be baking the famous pecan pie muffins, so I will talk a bit about those, and also a tiny bit regarding my fun and fabulous gift that I am making.  Like I said before, I can't show or talk about the gift as a whole, but what I've decided to do is take "clue" pictures, and then after I have given them out (probably the 26th), I will do a post on the how to so you guys can do it too!!  Until next time........


Stay sweet,



Jennifer xoxoxoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment