Tuesday, December 11, 2012

When Life Hands You a Lemon.....

Hello Sweets,

We've all heard the saying "when life hands you lemons, make lemonade", well this post is a spin on the old saying.  Nathan's dad LOVES lemons, and I mean loves them, like he eats them as if they were an orange, so when he showed up with a giant bag of lemons, I wasn't entirely surprised.  However, when he told me I was to bake something out of them I was slightly perplexed.  I had never used fresh lemons for anything other than for sweet tea, but I was definitely up for the challenge :).

So I pulled out my favorite random ingredient recipe app and started sifting through the recipes, and of course the typical recipes came up; lemon meringue pie, and lemon biscotti among others, but just not what I was looking for.  Then a quick swipe to the next page, and low and behold I found a recipe fitting of the season, lemon sugar cookies with a nice lemon icing! So with out further ado, lets get to the cookies!

Lemon Sugar Cookies (via All Recipes iPhone app)
Ingredients
2C all-purpose flour
1/4Tsp salt
1 stick plus 2 1/2 butter, room temperature
1/2C plus 2 Tbs granulated sugar
3 lemons, zested and juiced (1/3C juice)
2 large eggs
1/4C whole milk
2 3/4C confectioners sugar
coarse sanding sugar, for sprinkling (optional)
 (didn't realize the photo was blurry, sorry)

Directions:
1)  Preheat oven to 325F.  Whisk together flour and salt in a small bowl.  Beat butter, sugar, and lemon zest with a mixer on medium speed until pale and fluffy, about 10 minutes.

2)  Beat in eggs.  Reduce speed to low, and gradually beat in flour mixture.  Slowly add milk, and beat on medium speed for 5 minutes.


 3)  Transfer dough to a pastry bag fitted with a 1/2" plain round tip.  Pipe 1 1/2" rounds onto parchment paper-lined baking sheets.  Bake until bottoms are a pale gold, 16-18 minutes.  Let cool completely on sheets set on wire racks.

4)  Whisk together confectioner's sugar and lemon juice in a small bowl until smooth.

5)  Brush glaze onto cookies, and sprinkle with sanding sugar.  Cookies can be stored at room temperature for up to 3 days.


These cookies are not overly sweet and have a nice subtle lemon flavor.  Needless to say Nathan's father was extremely happy with the outcome :)   Everyone who knows me knows that this is the main outcome I am looking for when I bake, a happy tummy and a smile is all I need when I'm in the kitchen.

I just wanted to take a moment and apologize for my sporadic posts (at best), I'm sure everyone is understanding that this time of year is hectic, but none the less I will do my best to keep my posts more frequent again.  I already know what I'm going to blog about tomorrow, all about the delicious dinner I will be making my love tonight, which means all of my faithful readers will have my secret spaghetti recipe ;)  Until next time.......


Stay sweet,




Jennifer xoxoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment