Sunday, January 27, 2013

A "Corny" Sweet Success!

Hello Sweets,

I hope you all had a wonderful weekend, and spent today relaxing on the final day of the weekend :(  My weekend was not too bad, health wasn't a complete blockade (yay for small triumphs lol) and I went right back into the kitchen to create some things I've been  envisioning in my head for what seems like days now.  Now the one thing that my weekend did lack was sleep, and I don't mean only got a few hours or was restless, but actually have only gotten about 7 hours since Thursday night O_O.  Needless to say that today I am a goofy, giggling, zombie just trying to push on through with hopes of a full night sleep tonight (fingers crossed).  Now I am sure you're all wondering why I didn't have a cat nap this afternoon, and the reason is because I made plans to see my grandparents and hate breaking promises to them.  We needed to have a little quality catch up :)  Then when I got home I had to create my final recipe of the "chili" chapters (damn should have thought of that with the first post, lol oh well), and now it's dinner time and I'm afraid that if I fall asleep now I'll awake in the middle of the night lol.

So I am sure you've all been speculating on what the final chapter is, and I've got a pretty good idea that the title may have cemented your guesses :).  If you guessed cornbread you're the grand prize winner...........of the guessing game lol your big prize is my thanks and a smile!  Now I've eaten chili all my life, cornbread however is fairly new to me as it is not common at all where I am from, but that doesn't mean I had never tried it, but when I had it for the first time at Nathan's house I really fell in love with that starchy little devil.  Contrary to what I've had at home, Texas cornbread is moist, sweeter, and has great texture (drools).  When Nathan's dad made chili for us right before I went home, I offered to make some from scratch (they use a box, fore shame!) but he was worried it wouldn't be sweet enough, so in the words of Barney Stinson (How I Met Your Mother - TV series) "Challenge Accepted!".  From then on I've had this burning determination to find the perfect recipe for scrumptious cornbread, and then I stumbled upon a fabulous little web site (obviously a fellow kitchen creator) called A Sweet Pea Chef (love the title too) and there was the start of my great cornbread :)  So I drew inspiration from her recipe and made a few "Canuckette adjustments", to make exactly what I was looking for.  And now I'm going to share it with all of you!

Canuckette's Sweet Cornbread (inspired from A Sweet Pea Chef)
Ingredients
1C all-purpose flour
1C cornmeal, yellow
1/2C granulated sugar
2 1/2Tsp baking powder
1 Tbs brown sugar, dark and heaping
1 Tsp salt
1 egg
1C half and half (the lightest you can find, mine was 50% less fat than original)
1/3C vegetable oil
1/2C creamed corn
3Tbs honey, melted (give or take)


Directions:
1)  Preheat the oven to 400F, and grease (I used coconut oil, so no flour was needed) either a 9" round cake pan or a 12 cup muffin tin.

2)  Combine all dry ingredients (flour, cornmeal, both sugars, baking powder, and salt) in to a large bowl and set aside.

3)  In a separate smaller bowl, combine all the wet ingredients (egg, cream, oil, creamed corn but not the honey).
   
crazy looking layers lol

4)  Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix thoroughly, but be careful not to over mix.  Drizzle the melted honey over top of the batter, doing your best to evenly distribute.

 
 
This was when I decided to add the honey for a little bit of sweetness on top :)
  
5)  Bake for 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
   
yummers!!

I'm so glad I foraged down this road, specifically because I am not sure how much more I can improve on this recipe, it's honestly that good!  Normally I don't like to toot my own horn, but TOOT TOOT lol.  If you love or even like cornbread then you definitely need to try this recipe, and if you aren't sure if you will like it try this recipe because it's the best I've come across yet!

Well I can barely keep my eyes open as I  finish up this post lol.  That last paragraph took me almost 15 minutes to write because my mind was trying to shut down lol, so it looks like I may be going down for a cat nap after all, and hopefully not all night.  Make sure to come back tomorrow for a simple and refreshing way to forget we are in the middle of winter (if only for a moment).  Until next time..................................


Stay sweet,



Jennifer xoxoxo



No comments:

Post a Comment