Monday, February 4, 2013

Never Judge A Dish By A Cook

Hello Sweets,

Did you enjoy your weekend?  Hopefully you are having a relaxing Sunday and maybe even tried a new recipe :)  I've been try a lot of new recipes lately with great results mind you ;), but the one thing I've realized is that normally I will end up craving some of my "regular" favorites, but not lately I just want to try something new.  I am really enjoying exploring new foods and new techniques, I feel like I'm spreading my little kitchen creative wings (I know I'm just too cute right?).  Now don't get me wrong, I have been using familiar ingredients a lot, but I'm trying to use them in new, unique, and tasty ways.  I try to choose healthy choices when I come across them but I'll be honest that I enjoy all foods even the bad ones, but I strongly believe in moderation so you can still enjoy the finer, tastier things in life.

So as I have been mentioning over a few posts that I've been reminiscing about when I was younger, memories being in the kitchen with grandma and mother or even when I started cooking on my own.  It's funny how things that completely gross us out as children can become a food that we love as adults.  Now don't get me wrong, there are some that don't (for me it's olives, ick!).  What I've found is that it's not the actual food that I didn't like but just the way it was prepared, an example would be I love my grandfather's, mother's and my own spaghetti,  but take me to a restaurant and there is no way I'm ordering it after every disappointment.  What do you think the main difference is?  I think it's two things; 1) it's made with care because you're feeding the ones you love and 2) it's made with love, cooked slow and constantly adjusting the spices to achieve the right flavors.  It's not rushed, but almost built into a beautiful masterpiece that you are more than happy to share with everyone.

So I decided to do today's post on something that I absolutely HATED as a child, no matter who made it or what was in it I was not touching it, and that was coleslaw.  However I've always liked English style fish and chips (thank you grandma :)) which normally comes with coleslaw as a side, a side that always stayed in its little dish.  That was until one day at a restaurant (which I can't remember the name of, it's been a few years) the coleslaw looked much different than I had ever seen, and appetizing enough to give it the good old college try!  The main aspects to the dish that really caught my interest was it was very colorful (full of more than just green cabbage) and the dressing was very light and not a mayonnaise base dressing, and low and behold it was delicious!  From then on unless it looked like a sloppy mayo mess I tried, and then had a desire to make some of my own and see if it works out like I was envisioning.  Then came the perfect opportunity, every year our home office has a potluck lunch where each department brings a dish or two and everyone enjoys a free delicious lunch.  Since I work for a fitness company I figured it's healthy, high in fiber, and it makes a big portion, that it would be the perfect chance to really shine (and yes I had a back up just in case it was a flop).  So I prepped my coleslaw a day in advanced to really let the dressing absorb in, tried it to make sure it was edible lol and it was same quality as the dressing that turned me into a real cabbage patch kid (lol 80'd kid joke).  When I brought it to work I created a little information card that so people would know what's in it and to let them know some of the healthy parts of it, and I think it's a good sign when you pick up the bowl and it's completely empty!!  Definitely made me feel pretty good and I love my recipe so much that I'm going to share it with you today :)

Canuckette's Colorful Coleslaw
Ingredients
1/2 head cabbage, shredded
1/2 medium red onion, diced
1 1/2C carrots, grated
2 stalks celery, chopped
1C white sugar
1C white vinegar
3/4C extra virgin olive oil
3/4Tbs salt
1Tbs dry mustard
1/2Tsp garlic powder
black pepper to taste
 garlic not pictured as it was a last minute addition, again lol

Directions:
1)  In a large  bowl, combine cabbage, onion, carrots, and celery.

2)  Sprinkle with sugar, and mix well.
 
second picture is to show the neat texture and colors

 3)  In a small saucepan, combine vinegar, oil, salt, dry mustard, garlic powder, and pepper.  Bring to a boil.

4)  Pour dressing while still hot over cabbage mixture, and mix well.

Simple and easy but healthy side dish great for anytime of the year, for lunch or dinner.  I let the coleslaw sit for at very least 24 hours (longer if I can), and drain any excess liquid before plating or serving.  Now that I've made this I'm craving fish and chips lol.  Dang not sure if I have what is needed to whip that up hmmmmmm.  I guess you'll find out in the next few posts :)

  Well my lovely readers, I have not slept in over 24 hours again and as my wonderful roommate would verify I am going a little crazy, in the certifiable way ;)  I  think it's time for a mid day catnap :)  Until next time...............


Stay sweet,



Jennifer xoxoxo


No comments:

Post a Comment