Saturday, August 24, 2013

Only Good Crumbs About

Hello Sweets,

So lately I have been having pretty "crumby" luck with my health, although I should never be surprised.  Which means my baking and cooking have been sporadic at least, but today is the first part of the very special dessert I made for Nathan for our jointly cooked dinner to celebrate our two year anniversary.  Normally if I asked Nathan what he'd prefer as our dessert he would request his favorite, coconut meringue pie.  However, for our anniversary he decided for something a little more unconventional........normally this is where I would tell you what it is, but I'm not lol.  That is for tomorrows post, until then we will lay the foundation for this tempting treat ;)

You know what some of my favorite commercials are focused on selling?  Oreo's, lol but seriously they're always cute little windows into the imagination of children.  The last one I saw was of two little boys, one of whom had just moved not only into the neighborhood but the country as well.  To the amazement of the other little boy, even though he was from half way around the globe he still knew how to eat Oreos the go to way for years (twist and dunk).  I personally am not a huge Oreo fan, that is until they brought out golden Oreo's with chocolate filling.  I have a serious addiction to those bad boys, to make matters worse I cannot for the life of me find them in Canadia, and this makes me very sad :(

Our anniversary dessert is chocolate based, no chocolate themed.  This was something new for me to make so  I had my challenges during construction, but now I know what to do differently next time.  For now we prepare the base and assembly will begin tomorrow :)

Oreo Cookie Crust
Ingredients
24 whole Oreo cookies, crushed into meal texture
1/4C butter, melted
 

Directions:
1)  In a medium sized bowl or food processor; add the Oreos and blend until it becomes the texture of coarse meal or crumbs.  I put them all in a freezer bag and smashed them to bits!  I guess you could say cheap therapy lol.
2)  Add the melted butter and blend until well combined.

 

 3)  Place the ground crumb mixture in to a 9" pie dish and press onto the bottom and sides evenly.  Try to make the crust about 1/8" thick evenly all the way around.  *If you find the mixture to be a little dry, just add a little bit more of butter*
 

4)  Refrigerate for at least one hour before continuing with your dessert, this will prevent cracking when you cut it :)
 
It was funny while we were walking through the grocery store Nathan said "you know they make pre made Oreo crusts right?".  That's when I turned around and said "yea, but they won't taste as good as a fresh one", not to mention I will be able to control the cracking easier.  Needless to say when the whole thing was put together he agreed that mine most likely did taste better, I already knew that but still love to hear it from him lol!

I wanted to share a sneak-peak photo from the date half of our anniversary celebration, Nathan took me on a sunrise flight over Texas.  Getting up at 6am is well worth it when you have the right company and a pretty view to look at ;)  Until next time.........................................................................
3

No comments:

Post a Comment