Thursday, September 26, 2013

That Nutty Monkey

Hello Sweets,

Sorry for the post being so late today, but I could not sleep last night which threw my whole day off :(  My roommate encouraged me to eat an apple to help with my stomach pains, did you know that apples help with stomach issues? I didn't.  Low and behold my stomach pains got less and less, and now I am feeling well enough to write a post!  I even had to cancel a get together with a fellow baking enthusiast which really broke my heart, thankfully she is very understanding to the saga that is my health.

Yesterday I wrote about the candied pecans that were adorned atop Dan's birthday cupcakes, today we are going to get straight to the cake!  When planning what type of cupcakes to make I asked my mother what are some of Dan's favorite flavors in a dessert.  He is very similar to my nephew because he loves banana type desserts, I had made a banana cupcake before but wanted a more moist cupcake than previously produced.  I found a recipe that had a good amount of bananas in the ingredients so I knew it wouldn't be dry at all, and of course it also included another delightful ingredient, pecans!  Tomorrow's post will include the icing so you can recreate this delicious treat yourself, but for now we'll focus on the foundation of any cupcake ;)

Pecan Banana Cupcakes
Ingredients
1/2C butter, softened
8oz cream cheese, softened
1C brown sugar
1C sugar
2 eggs
1/2C oil
1/3C applesauce
2C flour
2tsp baking soda
2tsp baking powder
1Tbs cinnamon
1/2tsp salt
3C bananas, mashed (approx. 6)
1tsp vanilla
1C pecans, chopped
 

Directions:
1)  Preheat oven to 350F.  Line muffin tins and set aside.  In a large bow, beat butter and cream cheese together until smooth and creamy.
 

2)  Slowly beat in sugars until light and fluffy.
 

3)  Add eggs one at a time until fully incorporated.
 

4)  Stir in oil and applesauce; mix well.
 

5)  Mix in flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt until just combined.  Stir in bananas and vanilla.
 

6)  Fold in pecans.  Fill cups 2/3 full, baking for 28-33 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
 

7)  Allot to cool in pan for 10 minutes then transfer to wire rack.  Allow to completely cool before icing.

These cupcakes are very moist and full of flavor, there wasn't a single bad thing said about these bad boys.  They may look like muffins, but they are sweet like a cake.  I personally like unusual cupcakes, so naturally these are a permanent fixture in my recipe book.  Here's a sneak peak of what was taken to the party;
 

Hahaha, you though I was going to show you a snippet of the finished cupcakes didn't you?  Y'all should know better than that!   Trust me when I say these are worth the wait, and it's less than 24 hours before you can create a frosting that is perfect for this cupcake :)

I know yesterday I said I was hoping to have my website up and running today, but I'm a perfectionist so it's still in the works lol.  It's close to being done, I just want everything to look well and for it to be easy to navigate.  Maybe by tomorrow night I will be able to share it with everyone, but I promise it will be worth the wait :)  Until next time......



Stay sweet,



Jennifer xoxoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment