Monday, October 7, 2013

The Hearty Little Cookie

Hello Sweets,

Happy Monday y'all!  Lol okay maybe Monday isn't the day most people look forward to, but if there's cookies involved people might be more receptive :)  My day was full of phone calls and migraines :( but the show must going on right?  Since tomorrow is the birthday of this very blog, I have much to do and no time to do it lol.  I'm trying to narrow down a special recipe to celebrate this occasion and I'm looking at thousands lol.  I also have a sad announcement to make :(  A website that originally started as a monthly subscription and ignited my passion to creating in the kitchen is closing in 2 weeks.  Grandma's Kitchen has always been an inspiration to me, but she is retiring to spend more time with her grand kids, so I can understand.  I will, however, miss all her helpful tips and and suggestions.  So naturally I am scouring through every recipe on her site (which is a LOT), and writing down every recipe that sounds to delicious to be lost forever.  If you're an enthusiast of all things delicious and love to create them too, head over to the site and take a look. You won't be disappointed ;)

Enough sad news, lets get to something delicious and will bring a smile to any face.  As I've mentioned over the last few weeks I've been craving oatmeal cookies, but I wanted to try something new and a little unusual.  So I've been searching and searching but never found what I was looking for.  That is until I received the email letting me know of grandma's retirement. I should have known to look on her site.  I found a recipe that was sort of what I was looking for, and I made a few changes to suit exactly what I had been craving.  The original recipe called for white chocolate, but I'm not a big fan of chocolate anyways (I know *gasp*) so I replaced it with pecans.  I adjusted some of the ingredient quantities, and also added some spices for a little more dimension.  You can find the original recipe, for the next two weeks anyways, on Grandma's website!

Oatmeal Raisin Cookies with a Canuckette Flare
Ingredients
1 1/2C raisins
3Tbs orange juice
3/4C sugar
1/2C butter, softened
2 large egg
2tsp orange zest
1C flour
1tsp baking soda
1 1/2tsp cinnamon
3/4tsp nutmeg
1 1/2C rolled oats
1C pecans, chopped
 

Directions:
1)  Preheat oven to 350F, grease two baking sheets.  Combine raisins and orange juice in a small bowl, allow to sit for 10 minutes.
 

2)  Combine sugar and butter in a large bowl.  Beat with an electric mixer until light and fluffy.
 

3)  Beat in egg and orange zest.
 

4)  Mix in flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, and baking soda in a small bowl.
 

5)  Add to butter mixture and mix well.
 

6)  Add raisin mixture, oats, and pecans mixing well.
 
 

7)  Drop by rounded teaspoonful 2" apart on baking sheet.  Flatten with a fork.  Bake until golden brown, about 8 minutes.
 
 

These cookies are unlike any other oatmeal cookie, there soft and chewy like normal but the orange juice and zest really enhance the flavor of the raisins.  I wasn't sure how it would blend but I am very glad I didn't omit it, I actually might even try this little trick with other recipes that include raisins or any fruit.  On grandma's site she says that the acidity works with the natural sweetness of the front and enhance the flavors.  She's one smart lady, and I'm really going to miss all her wonderful recipes and wisdom!

I wanted to share something with y'all that I'm pretty darn proud of :D  In preparation for this weekends birthday booking I wanted to make sure my logo for the box was perfect, presentable, and had contact information if any of the guests wanted to contact me
 
aren't they cute :)

They're printed on sticker paper so that is goes on seamlessly.  Next thing to tackel is business cards, but that will have to wait until there are funds to do so.  Until next time.....



Stay sweet,




Jennifer xoxoxoxoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment